Monday, July 9, 2012

My Code of Ethics For Journalism, But Also Life.

1. BE HONEST.

Okay, I know...This is the first rule that basically every journalist actually agrees with--or at least claims to agree with. Irony, right? Still, it's a good one. Basically, honesty is a good policy when it comes to journalism, and also life.  I want to get the word out.  I want to make a difference. I want to change lives. I don't want to change lives by writing falsehoods about people. 


2. BE PASSIONATE.


I won't be a boring journalist. I refuse to be a boring journalist. I ADAMANTLY refuse to be a boring journalist.


3. DO GOOD THINGS WITH THE WRITTEN WORD.


Some things need to be heard. They aren't pretty. Or sweet. Or tender. Or heartwarming. They are horrifying and devastating and depressing. But they are things that are often hidden. People need to hear stories that will make them change things--Good things that will want to make them do good things and Bad things that will make them do good things. I want to address things, positive and negative, that make life more positive.

4. WORK HARD.
People don't really deserve a shoddily done job. They deserve a person who checks the facts, asks great questions, tries to hear both sides, and puts out a quality article. I need to put my best effort into what I do.

5. BELIEVE HARD.

I should believe that I can make a difference. I should believe that I can go far in journalism...or whatever I choose to do with my life. I should believe that I can do it. I need to be able to believe in myself, my power as an individual, but also the community's ability to hear and react to what I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment